Friday, December 27, 2013

RASCAL Run (Running Across South Carolina in Altruistic Lunacy)




 for people, for animals, for the environment


What is this all about?
I am running across the State of South Carolina using the Palmetto Trail to help raise funds and awareness on several issues - because I'm not just a one issue kind of guy....
   
Many of you know me as a vegan and an advocate for animal issues.   So part of this is to show you don't need meat or other animal products to perform great at physical activities and sports.   I'd like to support the animals of South Carolina by promoting wildlife care.   The Carolina Wildlife Center is a great place for animal rehab. 
  
But I love helping people too!   There are so many great organizations out there that benefit those in need.   If you're more of a people person than an animal person, then let me direct you to a great organization that helps kids with cancer.   How can you argue with that?   The St. Baldricks Foundation does a lot of promotion in Columbia, SC, but they are a national organization, so your support can help kids wherever you are.
  
Of course there are many ways to keep the environment in good shape so it can still be used and enjoyed by future generations.   One way is going with a vegan diet - it is much more sustainable and causes less damage to farmlands.    Another way is to support groups that maintain parks and trails which encourage others to foster a love of nature.   So why not support the Palmetto Conservation Foundation which works to improve the quality of life in South Carolina by preserving greenways and historic landmarks along the trail.


Running the Palmetto Trail is something I've been pondering for awhile.   Scot Taba Ward through-hiked the entire trail last year & produced a great detailed guidebook.   It is a must-have for anyone who runs to explore large sections of the trail (but check out the trail, regardless!!)   I had the chance to hike with Scot a couple of times last year on the PT.   

However,  now is the time for me to try this!    December & January  is not the ideal time, but it looks like I am moving to the Seattle area soon, so this is my last chance to give it a shot.    And if I am going to run it, may as well see if I can give back to the State of South Carolina, since the good people of SC have put up with me for almost 5 years.....






Who are these groups?
The Palmetto Conservation Foundation:  

St. Baldricks

Carolina Wildlife


I don't have any way of tracking, so if anyone does help make a contribution to any of these groups, please leave a comment, even anonymously, or message me.   Would be great to know.....   Thanks!



How am I doing this?

Since it is the middle of winter (it gets cold even in South Carolina) and since I want to run and not carry 50 pounds of gear, I am going to the equivalent of "day-hiking" the trail.   (There probably will be just as much walking as running....)   My friend Usa is going to meet me at the end of every day & pick me up and then take me back again in the morning.   

My original plans had been to "through-hike" the trail, basically staying on the trail the whole time, but that's just not going to happen now.

I hope to average roughly 45 miles a day and hope to do it in 12 days.


The Palmetto Trail

The trail currently has 25 defined passages, but it is still a "trail in progress".   Some passages connect one to the next, but in some cases there are large gaps and you have to make your own way in-between.   The defined passages are about 425 miles.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe the Palmetto Conservation Foundation has established official ways to connect the passages together.   

Scott Taba Ward did that in his guidebook.   So this is as close to a Palmetto Trail bible as you will find.   Buy his book if you really want to explore the trail and figure out how to get from one passage to the next.


The trail is a work in progress and there have already been changes since his book.    I will try to connect all the current passages and document where I deviate from his book in this Blog.

Here's my current plan.....





This plan - and this blog - is also very much a work in progress!   There are many people I plan to acknowledge but it's time for me to hit the trail!   Will update more later!

Thanks!   I would also love to have people to run with!   I will have my phone:  (803) 543-0562.   You can also contact Usa, but message me on my phone or on Facebook to get her #.








2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Scott! I'm rooting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott! My name is Chad Haffa, I am a race director in the Lowcountry and hold the majority of my running events on the Palmetto Trail. If you tell me when you plan to be in the Francis Marion, I can get a group together to run with you if you would like! Feel free to give me a call. 843-478-1779.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete